Each capsule contains : Tamsulosin Hydrochloride 0.4 mg (as modified release pellets).
Tamsiflow (Tamsulosin Hydrochloride) is a new potent and long acting alpha-1 receptors
antagonist. It inhibits alpha-1 receptors selectively and competetivly. Blockade of these
adrenoreceptors can cause smooth muscle in the bladder neck and prostate to relax,
resulting in improvement in urine flow rate and reduction in symptoms of benign prostatic
hyperplasia (BPH). Tamsulosin is not intended for use as antihypertensive drug. The plasma
concentration of unchanged drug reached a peak at 7 to 8 hours after single oral
administration of 0.1 to 0.6 mg Tamsulosin hydrochloride to healthy male adults. The half life
is 9.0 to 11.6 hours. The excretion rate of unchanged drug in the urine up to 30 hours after
administration remained almost constant at 12-14%. No significant changes in the excretion
rate after repeated administration were observed.
Tamsiflow is intended for treatment of the signs and symptoms of benign prostatic
DOSAGE & ADMINISTRATION :
• Adult : The usual dose is 0.4mg of Tamsiflow once daily after meals.
• Elderly : Elderly patients often have renal hypofunction. In case of patients
can not tolerate this dosage , other appropriate measures must be taken.
RESTRICTIONS ON USE :
Tamsulosin is contraindicated in the following cases :
- Patients with a history of hypersensitivity reactions to the drug.
- Patients with impaired renal functions (an excessive increase in plasma drug
concentration may be induced).
- Carcinoma of the prostate and BPH cause many of the same symptoms. These two
diseases frequently co-exist. Patients should be evaluated prior to the start
treatment with Tamsulosin to rule out the presence of carcinoma of the prostate.
- Use Tamsulosin HCl with caution concerning dosage and administration since
overdosage may cause a decrease in blood pressure.
- Patients must be watched for any changes in blood pressure occurring with
- The drug does not eliminate the cause of the disease, but gives symptomatic
relief. If the expected response does not appear, surgical therapy or other
alternative procedures may be considered.
Effect on the capacity to drive vehicles and operate machines
Patients should be cautioned against engaging in potentially hazardous activities requiring
alertness, such as working at heights, driving cars or operating machines.
DRUG INTERACTIONS :
- Before the start of treatment, patients should be asked whether they are taking any
antihypertensive drugs.If such drugs are used, blood pressure during treatment should
be monitored. If a decrease in blood pressure is observed, the treatment discontinued
or other appropriate measures taken.
- Tamsulosin should be used with caution in combination with cimetidine particularly
at doses higher than 0.4 mg.
- Caution should be exercised with concomitant administration of Tamsulosin and
ADVERSE EFFECTS :
- Psychoneurological : Dizziness, dizziness on standing up or wooziness may occur
- Cardiovascular : Hypotension or tachycardia may occur infrequently.
- Hypersensitivity : such as rash, administration should be discontinued if such symptoms
- Gastrointestinal : Nausea, vomiting, stomach discomfort and heaviness, stomachache,
decrease appetite or diarrhoea may occur infrequently.
- Hepatic : Elevations of serum GOT, GPT or LDH may occur.
- Others : Nasal obstruction, edema, difficulty in swallowing, burning
sensation in the throat.
Overdosage of Tamsulosin leads to hypotension, support of the cardiovascular system is
very important. Restoration of blood pressure and normalization of heart rate may be
accomplished by keeping the patient in the supine position. If this measure is inadeqate,
then administration of intravenous fluids should be considered. If necessary, vasopressor
should then be used and renal function should be monitored. Dialysis is unlikely to be
benefit because Tamsulosin is highly bound to plasma protein.
STORAGE INSTRUCTIONS :
Store below 25°C in a dry place, protect from light.
Tamsiflow Capsules : Pack of 30 capsules and hospital packs of different sizes.