Each tablet contains : Trihexyphenidyl Hydrochloride USP 2 mg or 5 mg .
Kinsol (Trihexyphenidyl Hydrochloride) is a synthetic antispasmodic drug. It acts by inhibition of the
parasympathetic nervous system and also has a relaxing effect on smooth muscles . It is well absorbed
from the gastrointestinal tract and it has been stated to exert its action within one hour of oral dose.
Kinsol is indicated in the treatment of :
- All forms of parkinsonism ( postencephalitic , arteriosclerotic and idiopathic ).
- Control of extrapyramidal disorders caused by central nervous system drugs such as phenothiazines,
thioxanthenes, butyrophenones and dibenzoxazepines.
DOSAGE & ADMINISTRATION :
The dose should be individualized and elderly patients may require smaller doses.
- Idiopathic parkinsonism : Kinsol is given in 3 or 4 divided doses daily before or with food. The initial
dose of 1 mg daily is gradually increased over a period of several days by increments of 2 mg to 6 mg
to 10 mg daily according to the response of the patient.12 mg to 15 mg or more may be required daily in
advanced cases. Kinsol can be given with other drugs used for the relief of parkinsonism such as
levodopa, but the dose of each may need to be reduced.
- Extrapyramidal symptoms : usually 5 mg to 15 mg daily, although 1 mg daily may be enough in some
RESTRICTIONS ON USE :
Hypersensitivity to the drug .
Kinsol should be administered with caution for patients with :
- Cardiac, liver & kidney disorders or with hypertension, glaucoma, obstructive disease of the
gastrointestinal or genitourinary tracts and in elderly males with possible prostatic hypertrophy .
- Geriatric patients particularly over the age of 60.
- Incipient glaucoma may be precipitated.
- Patients under Trihexyphenidyl HCl therapy must check their intra-ocular pressure in regular intervals.
Use in Pregnancy and lactation
Caution should be exercised when administering Kinsol to pregnant and nursing women.
ADVERSE EFFECTS :
Minor adverse effects such as dry mouth, blurring of vision, dizziness, mild nausea and nervousness may
DRUG INTERACTIONS :
- The effect of Kinsol may be enhanced with other drugs with antimuscarinic properties such as
phenothiazines, antihistamines, antipsychotics and tricyclic antidepressant.
- The reduction of the gastric motility caused by Kinsol may affect the absorption of other drugs.
STORAGE INSTRUCTIONS :
Store below 30oC, in a dry place.
Kinsol 2 tablets : Pack of 30 tablets and hospital packs of different sizes.
Kinsol 5 tablets : Pack of 30 tablets and hospital packs of different sizes.